Thursday, February 2, 2012

From the Heart of a Woman


By Sylvia Hensel

An intimate glimpse into a private love relationship. 

Isaiah 54:5 tells me that my Maker is my husband.

This comes as a great deal of comfort and consolation to me as a single person contemplating spending the rest of my life without a human companion so to speak. I don’t know what God has in store for me, but I do know that He has promised to be a husband to me and has taken great pains to show me that no matter whether I am single for life or find my match tomorrow, I will always experience a lonely yearning that can only be satisfied through deep communion and intimacy with Him.

I think this is the crux of what Sylvia Hensel has found and tried to communicate in From the Heart of a Woman. It is a beautiful book full of expressions of love from Mrs. Hensel to her Maker. And although Mrs. Hensel herself is a married woman, it is clear from her writings that her first devotion is to her Saviour and Friend who is clearly the “Lover of her soul”. If he weren’t a godly man, I would genuinely worry that her husband would be given to jealousy to see just how intimate his wife’s relationship is with the Lord.

I am not usually partial to poetry or prose, but I really enjoyed this collection. I would have loved to see more thoughts from the author on just how one can begin to cultivate such an intimate relationship with the Lord, but perhaps her answer would be that one might start by simply reading His word, spending time in meditative prayer, and contemplating some of Mrs. Hensel’s thoughts of Him contained in this book.

A truly edifying read.

No comments:

Post a Comment