Sunday, January 22, 2012

Your 100 Day Prayer: The Transforming Power of Actively Waiting on God


By John Snyde


Okay, let me start by saying that I have not finished this 100-day devotional yet. I have dedicated myself to it and have been faithfully following it for over 50 days so I felt as though I was at a point where I could formulate a helpful review despite the fact that I have not yet completed the journey.

I guess my overall impression of this devotional is that it is an EXCELLENT idea for a devotional, and the first 10 to 25 days perhaps are filled with excellent devotional materials surrounding the premise of spending 100 days of focussed daily prayer with God on one particular prayer request. But after about day 10 to 25, I found that the author seemed to either lose focus or, as seemed more likely, ran out of ideas to fuel his devotional to day 100.

I think the idea of encouraging Christians to embark on a steadfast journey of prayer and seeking with God for a long period of time is great. I think that the author did a great job in the beginning of bringing out different ways of approaching this journey as you went through each day in the first quarter of the book. But I found that eventually the devotional failed to offer any new or encouraging insight or help into the task.

I would encourage readers to take up the challenge of devoting themselves to a specific prayer request for 100 days or more, but this book will not be particularly helpful in your wish to do so.

As an aside, I would add that even the act of trying to determine what you're going to pray for for that specific time has enormous devotional qualities to it and I would have liked the author to have spent more time on this issue in the beginning of the book as well.

I bought 5 copies of this book to give out to friends at Christmas after I read and was amazed by the first few days of this devotional. Now I kind of wish I hadn't, and had just encouraged my friends to try this neat way of spending a focussed time of prayer on something with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment